Monday, September 30, 2013

Bacon Onion Quiche Recipe

It was Sunday brunch and I wanted to make something beyond the usual scrambled eggs or pancakes. I wanted something savoury, easy and quick. That's when I remember an easy Cowboy Quiche recipe from Zoe, Bake for Happy Kids.

"I have been using a fuss-free and fail-proof quiche recipe which is 200ml cream + 3 eggs + 1 cup cheese for a deep 23 cm pie dish"

THIS is exactly what I need. Fuss-free, fail-proof. The most comforting words to one who has never baked a quiche before. 

The results?... Drool-worthy.



Starting with tart crust, I used a leftover frozen pastry crust in my freezer. You can use your favourite pastry crust recipe or get pre-made ones. Mould them onto your tart pan and blind bake before use.


For the filling, I reduced the magic ratio above to 140ml cream + 2 eggs + enough cheese to cover top for my 20cm tart pan. I used streaky bacon and onions but you can use spinach, mushrooms, ham, etc. Fry bacon in a non-stick pan to get out the flavours and oil. Use the leftover oil to fry the onions. No need to season the bacon or onions before frying. The bacon already has salt content and onions are caramelised to bring out their sweetness.


I would love to try a spinach quiche next time. The only issue is that flat-leaf spinach is usually used (not the usual spinach you find in supermarkets) - I have to figure out where they are sold. I have seen frozen spinach but I'm not a big fan of those as it will take ages for me to finish a whole box...


Customise your quiche to your liking and I'm sure you would fall in love with this simple recipe.

(makes a 20cm tart)

Ingredients
1 tart crust (refer to Basic tart crust)
140ml cream (I used diary whipping cream)
2 eggs
Cheese, enough to cover top of quiche (I used shredded Kraft cheese slices)
1 onion
Bacon
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
1. In a heated non-stick sauce pan, fry bacon till golden brown and crispy. I did not add oil to pan as the bacon has fats. Once bacon is ready, remove from pan and add in diced onions. Fry till soft and brown and leave aside. Use a kitchen scissors or knife to cut bacon into small pieces.

2. In a bowl, mix eggs and cream together. Add in bacon and onion bits. Add salt (about 1/2 tsp) and pepper and mix well.

3. Blind bake tart crust in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes till base is dry. Refer to Basic tart crust for step by step pictures and instructions.

24 Remove tart crust from oven and pour in cream filling. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for 20-30 minutes at 200 degrees. Quiche is ready when the top is brown and filling is set. Leave to cool for 15-20 minutes before removing the mould and serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...