Monday, August 12, 2013

Avocado Brownies Recipe

It's hard to remain healthy when you like to bake sweets. I have to confess that thus-far, I have not attempted to make my bakes healthy apart from reduction in sugar levels or replacing some white sugar with brown sugar. Then again, that motivation comes from me not liking my sweets too sweet (pardon the irony). I am also guilty of "accidentally" slipping more butter into my scones... Ok, officially guilty as charged - I am no healthy nut.


However, for the sake of the health of my readers, I have decided to post a healthier version of brownies - brownies made with avocado. Before you recoil away and gasp on how I am destroying the traditional brownie, let me emphasise that the brownies still taste like brownies - retaining all the chocolatey fudge-y goodness whilst you take in less calories. I dare-say that if you were to do a blind test, you probably can't taste the difference (try and let me know :))

(for a 8x8 inch pan)

Ingredients
1 avocado
55g unsalted butter
1 egg
70g light brown sugar
30g white castor sugar
2 tbsp water
1.5 tsp instant coffee
70g cocoa powder
30g plain flour
2 tsp homemade vanilla extract
Chocolate chips (optional, to sprinkle on top)

Method
1. Melt butter using microwave and set aside. Mix water with instant coffee powder, if the powder does onto dissolve, heat in microwave for a couple of seconds. If not, use lukewarm water.

2. Mash avocado in a bowl and add in egg, vanilla extract, melted butter, sugars and coffee.

3. Sieve in flour and cocoa powder. Mix well and pour into baking tray.

4. Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes at 170 degrees.

Tips
Avocados should be bought when they feel slightly soft to touch and are in the shade of a dark green. You can also use an over-ripe avocado for this dessert. To get the flesh, use the knife and make a vertical cut on the front and back of avocado, twist the avocado open. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh and discard the giant seed in the middle.


I love the simplicity of this recipe. All done and ready in less than an hour. This is recipe based on averiecooks with minor tweaking and metric conversion.




2 comments:

  1. We are eating lots of avocado at home but never use it for baking before. I like your avocado brownies with lots of good fat from avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zoe, I have a tendency to buy avocados and forget about them whilst they are ripen slowly. This is a good way to use over-ripen ones :p

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...